Wednesday 31 October 2012

Chicken Biriyani in a Packet


These are just scribblings to myself, of recipes I want to try. They are mostly from old magazines. My mother has a huge collection of magazine cut outs of recipes.  I am jotting them down, before I get rid of the magazine stacks and the cut out collection. In the age of internet, with any recipe you wish at your fingertips, it doesn't seem very practical to hang on to this crumbling paper collection. I am actually going through the entire bunch, recipe by recipe, choosing what seems worth a try. Why am I bothering? Well! Considering the effort my mom must have put in over the last 10-15 years or so, to cut out each recipe and to paste them into our old record books and such, I think It's disrespectful to just simply throw them out, just because I have an internet connection. So I am putting in my share of hard work.

Once I try these out and if they come out well, I will post them with pictures in the recipe section.
You can also try them out and let me know how they turned out.

Chicken Biriyani in a Packet

1.       Basmati rice – 250 gms
2.       1 bay leaf
3.       3 cloves
4.       1 cinnamon
5.       Salt – ¾ tsp

Soak rice for 30 mins. Parboil till half done. Drain. Add 1 tbsp ghee/oil. Divide into 4 portions.

6.       Garlic- 10 cloves
7.       Ginger – 15 gms
8.       Coriander powde – 1 tsp
9.       Cardamom – 4
10.   Brown cardamom- 1
11.   Cloves -4
12.   Onion – 1 large

Grind all together.Mix with

13.   Thick curd – ½ cup
14.   Salt

Marinate.

15.   Chicken – 500 gms

Keep for 2 hrs. Fry/ saute the chicken in ghee/oil, covered, till tender. Divide into 4.

16.   Aluminium foil -4 pcs.

Grease the pieces. Place chicken with gravy, cover with rice.

17.   Yellow food color – a pinch + ½ cup rice – yellow color rice

Scatter on top.

18.   Milk- ¼ cup
19.   Saffron – ½ tsp

Mix together and sprinkle over each rice set.

20.   Kewra essence- few drops [optional]
21.   Ghee

Dot with ghee. Close each silver packet neatly. Bake in preheated oven at 180 for 25 minutes.

Serve with raita, pappad and pickle.

No comments:

Post a Comment